Kidneys perform the function of flushing out the toxins and excess fluids from the body. When certain minerals are present in excess in the body and remain non-excreted from the kidney, they crystallize to form kidney stones.
A person who consumes an unhealthy diet and stays under hydrated is highly prone to develop kidney stones. Hence, the high prevalence of kidney stones in today’s time is understandable. Since the occurrence of kidney stones has become so common, everyone should be aware of its symptoms so that one can take curative measures as early as possible.
Following are the 8 signs kidney stones that you must not avoid:
- Frequent urgency to pass urine- The stone present in the kidney often starts to put pressure on the urinary bladder. This gives rise to different urinary discomforts, frequent urge to urinate being the most prominent one. The stone causes the bladder to contract and thus you feel the urgent need to urinate. Moreover, you won’t be able to empty the bladder all at once and would have to rush to the bathroom very often.
- Blood in the urine- Noticing a change in the color of urine is another common sign pointing towards kidney stones. People having stones in the kidney usually notice pink, brown or red colored urine due to the presence of blood cells in the urine. This is known as hematuria. However, sometimes, the blood cells can be too small to be visible to the naked eye. Hematuria in such cases is diagnosed during the microscopic analysis of the urine.
- Cloudy urine- Cloudiness and foaminess in the urine can also indicate kidney stones. The urine for a normal person is usually clear. However, for kidney stone patients, the urine turns cloudy due to the presence of proteins in it. Also, if along with cloudiness, you notice a foul smell in the urine, it can be due to infections in the urinary tract.
- Urinary infections- Frequent and recurrent urinary tract infections are also another major sign of kidney stones. This is because kidney stones can cause urine buildup in the kidney which can make it easier for the bacteria to attack and cause infections. Therefore, if you encounter UTIs much more than often, it is better to undergo a diagnostic test for kidney stones as well.
- Sudden intense pain below the ribs radiating to the back- This is the most common symptom of stones in the urinary tract. The pain usually starts when the stone moves around in the urinary tract. While moving, it can trigger the nerve fibers of the back. This causes an intense pain just below the ribs, which then radiates to the lower back, abdomen and groin region. The pain can last for as long as 4 hours and does not usually reduce even after laying down.
- Nausea and vomit- Another common kidney stone sign to look out for is vomiting and feeling nauseated quite frequently. The kidney stone can trigger the nearby GI tract nerves which may make you feel as if your stomach is upset. In other cases, you may feel nauseated as a result of your body responding to the severe renal colic.
- Appetite loss- Loss of appetite and not wanting to eat much can also indicate that something is wrong with the kidney functioning. You may feel unwell and due to appetite loss, you may lose a considerable amount of weight as well. This is also the result of the kidney stones interfering with the gastrointestinal tract.
- Skin turning dry and itchy- Kidneys with stones or calculi are unable to maintain the proper amounts of minerals and nutrients in the blood. The low levels of nutrients and minerals in the blood often reflects on the skin being dry, itchy and flaky. This symptom may not arise in all the cases of kidney stone, hence it is not so common to notice.
Treatment for kidney stones
Medical intervention is necessary for kidney stones. It is only very small stones that pass out on their own when you drink lots of water and lemon soda. But still, proper diagnosis by a specialist is of utmost importance to get a clarity on the severity of the conditions.
In the present time, there are various effective treatments available for kidney stones, ranging from oral to surgical ones. Even the modern kidney stone surgeries are nothing like old complicated and time consuming surgical procedures.
Advanced modern surgeries for fast and permanent riddance from kidney stones
There are 3 different types of high precision surgeries that are gaining the preference of all the urologists across the country. Let’s tell you in detail about these treatments.
- Shockwave lithotripsy- Shock wave lithotripsy is an advanced kidney stone treatment which makes use of shock wave energy to dismantle the stone into smaller pieces. This allows the kidney stone pieces to travel through the tract without getting lodged anywhere.
- Laser lithotripsy- This procedure is quite similar to SWL, the only difference being in the manner in which stones are crushed. In laser surgery, the surgeon inserts a lighted tube into the ureter and then laser energy is passed through the tube to break the stone. Some of the stone pieces are removed before closing the incision while the rest get flushed out along with the urine.
- Laparoscopic surgery- Laparoscopic surgery is another modern treatment procedure which uses laparoscopic equipment pieces to remove the stone from the urinary tract. The surgeon makes a few minor incisions, removes the stone and then closes off the incision using stitches.
Benefits of choosing a modern surgery:
- Painless procedure
- Does not require long stay at the hospital
- No long term medication after the surgery
- Short and smooth recovery period
- Nil rate of complications or infections
If you are looking for a reliable hospital for your kidney stone treatment, you can get in touch with Pristyn Care. They house some of the most experienced and reputed urologists in Delhi and have partnered with the best hospitals all across the condition. Moreover, all the techniques used at Pristyn Care are USFDA approved, which ensures an absolutely safe treatment. All you need to do is give them a call and the team will assist you throughout the treatment course.
Kidney stones form gradually in a few months and till then the person does not even know about it. As soon as the person starts experiencing symptoms, it becomes a matter of worries and concern. When a person keeps on delaying the consultation for the kidney symptoms, his chances of experiencing complications such as lodged stones in the ureter keep on increasing. Hence, there is no safer alternative than to follow the proper treatment recommended by the specialist doctor after the thorough diagnosis.