COVID-19 has reshaped life on earth. Many of us now prefer to stay at home, avoid people on the street, and change our daily habits in ways that we never imagined. As we are changing our old behaviors, there are new routines that we need to adopt. As a first step, we need to realize the importance of a face mask and understand that any reason is good to wear a face-covering whenever we enter a public space.
Table of Contents
How To Wear A Mask?
- Sterilize your hands before putting on the face mask and after taking it off, and whenever you touch it.
- Make sure that your mask covers your chin, nose and mouth.
- Whenever you take off your mask, store it in a clean plastic bag
- Wash your mask if it is made of fabric; otherwise, discard it.
- Avoid using those masks which have valves.
Types Of Face Masks
Medical or surgical face masks are for:
- Health care providers
- People who are COVID positive
- People who are taking care of the suspected or confirmed corona patients
- People who are at the age of 60 or older
- People with underlying health conditions
Fabric masks are for all when:
- Coronavirus is widespread
- Physical distancing is not possible like in public transportation
Importance Of Face Mask
COVID-19 has increased the importance of face masks because of the following reasons:
Reduces viral transmission
Wearing a face mask is not only sufficient but wearing it appropriately is what makes a difference in this corona world. Sterilize your hands before you put on your mask, and make sure that it covers the mouth and nose. Make sure that it fits well on your face and stay there as long as you are in a gathering. Research suggests that cloth coverings or surgical masks when worn correctly and worn by all, reduce coronavirus transmission by 70%.
Prevents Asymptomatic Spread
It should be kept in mind that not always the cloth face covers provide you with the protection the N95 design face masks offer. In many cases, people are corona positive without showing its symptoms. So, wearing a face mask helps to reduce the asymptomatic spread of coronavirus. Besides this, people should also ensure social distancing and practice good hand hygiene to prevent themselves from this deadly virus.
Protects You And Others From Illness
We all know that coronavirus is contagious, which spreads from one person to other through respiratory droplets of infected ones when they sneeze, cough or talk. So, face masks block these droplets. They act as a barrier and keep all the virus-containing particles escaping the infected one and landing on another. Wearing a face mask not only protect you but protect others also from getting this illness. This practice is most effective when done on a community level.
It is also predicted that 95% of the deaths in the country would be prevented if all people start wearing face masks.
Maintains A Good Hygiene In General
Medical professionals, either surgeons or dentists, were wearing masks to prevent germs, droplets, and illness and prevent others from their germs, even before the pandemic. In many countries, wearing a mask when one has allergies or is ill is a sign of respecting others health. So, wearing a mask for protection is normal and good hygiene practice in a high-risk situation.
Who Should Wear A Mask And Who Should Not?
Face masks should be worn:
- Whenever you are in a public setting
- Those who are of 2 years and older
- Whenever you are travelling on a plane, train, bus or other public transportation
- Inside the home, if any of your family members are having COVID-19 or is tested positive for it
People who should not wear a face mask:
- Children under two years of age
- A person who has a disability and is either unable to wear a mask or cannot wear the mask safely.
What To Do If You Feel Uncomfortable While Wearing A Mask?
- Practice wearing a face mask when you are at home for short periods to get used to it and not get irritated.
- Trying different fabrics and styles might work.
- Try relaxation techniques like breathing in and out deeply while you wear a face mask may help to keep you calm.
All of us should be wearing masks to significantly reduce the chances of spreading the coronavirus since this simple act can make a huge difference. The use of masks can mitigate the inequitable impact of the pandemic, particularly for those who live in densely populated areas where physical separation is difficult and those in frontline roles where exposure is more inherently risky.
If you are uncomfortable wearing a mask or face irritation, get the best medical advice from an ENT specialist Islamabad via Marham.pk.