Data loggers collect and record data from sensors placed at specific points in equipment such as weather stations, vehicles and machinery. The data collected assists companies to maintain the appropriate environment and monitor the condition of their equipment. Temperature loggers are probably the most common of the data loggers, serving to maintain a specific temperature or ensure that temperatures remain static and at the appropriate level. Data loggers are used in a range of applications including recording water and atmospheric pressure, voltage, humidity, electrical current, soil moisture and hydrography. Data loggers can be sourced from most reputable distributors, for example, RS Components.
Alternatives to electric data loggers can be human data collectors or data acquisition systems (DAQ). Human data collectors follow a schedule to physically collect data from a specific point. This collection is hampered by many factors including change of staff, weather, hazardous collection conditions and locations and the difficulties in reading from the exact same point each time.
The DAQ gathers large amounts of data using sampling over computer based software. Data logging has the advantage over this by collecting specific data for the individual machine, conditions and environment and presenting the data in an easily read format in the form of graphs and charts.
A data logger can help your business increase productivity by:
- Increasing safety in the workplace with real time condition monitoring.
- Alerting businesses to pre-failure maintenance issues that can be rectified in advance.
- The early detection of equipment and environmental conditions decreases downtime due to unexpected shutdowns, thereby increasing productivity levels overall.
- Keep goods in prime condition via real time temperature data loggers.
Main Advantages of Data Loggers
- Operate independently of a computer so are not effected by outages or other IT failures.
- Can wirelessly transmit data while remaining in place.
- Provide an accurate and reliable snapshot of conditions
- Collect a higher rate of data
- Operate over a continuous 24 hour period.
- Data collection is not hampered by environmental hazards.
- Can be programmed for the specific intent – input requirements, set and leave.
- Can be purchased in the size and capacity required to match any budget.
- Information can be presented in clear form such as graphs and charts for instant clarity.
- Rapid transfer of data allows quick analysis and prompt action.
The information received from a data logger is key to improving efficiency in your operation. Safety and OHS parameters can be monitored in real time, ensuring a secure workplace for your crew and a controlled environment for your goods and equipment. Pre-maintenance is achievable and contributes to longer lasting equipment and less time off-line.
Businesses no longer need to rely on outdated schedules for maintenance. A data logger will record information from sensors providing real time data on the inner condition of each engine, conveyor belt or refrigerator. Installing a data logger is a must for any business that is interested in improving efficiency and productivity in the workplace.