Does your ongoing sex life make you worried? At the end of the day, you feel tired and don’t want to do anything? If yes, this definitely won’t be making your partner happy, and not having a good sex life causes problems in relationships. You may be surprised to know, but your sleep and sex life is correlated. Having a disrupted sleep pattern may cause a declining sex drive. In the article, we will be talking about how insufficient sleep can affect your sex life & how it can be improved?
Relation between sleep and sex drive
The relationship between your sleep and sex drive is positive, which means the more you sleep, the higher your sex drive will be. A recent study says that even having one hour of extra sleep will increase the chances of engaging in sexual activity with your partner. Sleep affects our hormone levels; therefore, lack of sleep can lead to a decline in arousal and desire. Digging deeply into this fact, the scientific reason behind it is that when we are sleep deprived, there is a lot of stress or pressure created in the brain, with that sex hormones like estrogen and testosterone are not released sufficiently, leading to poor sex drive.
A decrease in sex drive can cause problems like infertility and erectile dysfunction in men in the long run. Research studies show that men who have a poor lifestyle, smoke, and are sleep deprived are more likely to suffer from erectile dysfunction.
As you can see the strong relationship between sleep and sex drive, you must be wondering what other ways to improve sex drive. Let’s delve into that in the next section.
What to do to improve sex drive?
Making your sleep schedule right is the easiest way to improve your sex drive, but look at some other ways that can help to improve your libido along with a night of good quality sleep.
- Nutritious diet- Having a good diet full of fruits and veggies combined with daily exercise for one hour will make your sex drive high. Certain specific fruits can lead to good sex drive, such as strawberries. They are loaded with antioxidants which assist in the increased production of sex hormones.
- Manage Anxiety- Anxiety leads to a poor sex drive in individuals. Anxiety is what keeps most people awake at night, even if they want to sleep. Having anxiety issues can lead to sleep deprivation and sleep disorders in the long run. However, anxiety can be managed by practicing meditation or seeking professional help. Once anxiety is managed, it will help you to improve your libido.
- Herbal remedies- There are some herbs that improve sex drive. A recent study done in the US showed that taking herbs such as basil, ginger, maca improves sexual functioning in individuals. You can add these herbal ingredients in your food.
- Sleep- Ensures that you don’t have a messed up sleep schedule. It is important to get 7 hours of sleep every day. If you are unable to sleep, pinpoint the problem and fix that. For e.g. you can prefer changing your mattress and switching to a right one.Since the quality of your sleep decides your sex drive by elevating your mood & reducing stress, here are some tips to look for in a mattress for better sex.
How to choose best mattress for sex?
Mattresses play a crucial part in determining the quality of your doze. A bad mattress has a direct impact on your performance in bed. It may make sex uncomfortable by causing back pain and other problems. Proper restful sleep is a crucial component to a healthy sexual life.
1. Avoid a mattress that makes noise – Having a noisy mattress can kill the mood, after all that noisy squeaky noise sounds so irritating to the ear. Also, many couples who are sexually active do not live alone. There are kids, parents or roommates and a noisy mattress can be a real deterrent to a healthy sex life. So how do we avoid such a situation? The answer is never go for an innerspring mattress and box spring. Instead, memory foam or latex mattresses are the best choices rather than a spring mattress.
2. Get a mattress that feels cosy & soft – The mattress should have a soft cover to give that warm and cosy feeling while making love. Avoid buying mattresses which comes with a rough mattress cover because it may cause rashes on skin & make sex uncomfortable.
3. Get a mattress that supports – When it comes to sex – couples have their own choice of mattress and its specifications – some like it sturdy and firm, some like it foamy, soft and springy. Most of them associate it with soft and cosy feel, yet supportive. Memory foam mattresses are proven to be a right choice in this case as it provides optimum support to body.
4. Go for odourless & breathable mattress brand – Another big mood killer is excessive heat or sweat, and the wrong mattress can make this a big problem. Some mattresses retain lots of body heat, which can make sex hot (in a bad way ofcourse! ). To avoid this, you should look for a mattress with good breathability. Breathable mattresses disperse excess body heat & moisture, regulates the temperature and keep your mattress fresh, cool & odourless all night long.
5. Avoid a mattress that is deformed – The mattress should be able to withstand any conditions such as holding excessive weight. It shouldn’t be subjected to any wear and tear. A durable mattress with minimum 7 yrs of warranty will help you to sleep tension free.
To sum up, the ultimate secret to good sex life is good sleep. A good night’s sleep at night facilitates a good mood and you stay active and fresh throughout the day. For good sleep, the first thing that should be ensured is using a good quality mattress. Choosing Memory foam mattresses will be the best option so that you can get a good night’s sleep. So, make sure you are not compromising on your sleep because inadequate sleep will negatively affect your health, including your sex life.